Our equipment grant (for an FCS setup) is in the local MUN news.
- Shivani’s Dipolar Depletion paper (with Cassandra and Ivan) accepted in Phys. Rev. X!
- Venky’s Ficoll paper (with Saman and Stefan, and Yun Liu from NIST) accepted in Macromolecules!
- Ealisha returns to complete her Masters in Environmental Science!
Venky convocation: perfect balance!
- Grade 6 students from École des Grand-Vents, who are currently studying electricity and magnetism, visited Physics (our lab, as well as the labs of Profs. Andrews and Chen). In our lab, Victor Borges showed them experiments on colloidal particles being driven into oscillatory motion by electricity. Anas Alhasanat showed how to mix liquids with magnetism. Frank from the liquefaction facility showed them the Stirling engine that makes liquid nitrogen: then they got to see superconductivity in action in the undergraduate lab upstairs.
- Venketesh gets the Graduate Academic Excellence ISRA award – 2022 by the International Students Resource Center, MUN. Also this week, Venky got a job as Assistant medical physicist at the Dr. H Bliss Murphy Cancer Center – congratulations two-fold!!
- Dillip Mohapatra arrives in St. John’s to begin his postdoc – welcome!
- Victor Borges begins summer research doing micro-electrophoresis studies
Ashish Joy arrives in St. John’s to start a PhD – welcome !
Congratulations to Shivani (April 28) for a successful PhD defence!
Left to right: Qiying Chen, AY, Shivani, Ivan Saika-Voivod, John Dutcher (screen large), Mykhaylo Evstigneev (screen small)
Congratulations to Venky (April 14) for a successful PhD defence!
Left to right: Mike Morrow, AY, Venky, Alan Denton (screen), Ivan Saika-Voivod
Sina Heravi is awarded the best poster presentation in biochemistry at the SEA (Scientific Endeavours in Academia) conference at MUN – congratulations!
Venky receives the Burton’s Pond Award (for exceptional dedication to improving the quality of life for the residents of Family Housing. Congratulations!
Congratulations Venketesh and Sandhya: welcome to the world, baby Hridya!
Josipa Cecić-Vidos begins working in Orléans (Josef Hamacek group) as part of the X-CROWD project.
- Majid Bahraminasr arrives in St. John’s – welcome!
- Suhad’s study of internal dynamics in polymer microgels is published in Langmuir.
- Anas Alhasanat and Sina Heravi arrive in St. John’s – welcome!!!
- Shivani’s Deans Doctoral Award just got extended by a semester!
Venketesh is awarded “Fellow of the school of graduate studies” by MUN’s School of Graduate Studies for his “continued academic excellence”. Congratulations, Venky!
- Erica Short completes her honours thesis (congratulations!) and begins a Canada Summer Jobs work term, joint with Stefan Wallin and AY. She is simulating polyethylene glycol at varying concentrations.
- Shivani and Venketesh share their thoughts and perspective on the current second wave of Covid in India on VOCM radio.
Shivani Semwal and her exciting work with the Kalpana Network, a network of female STEM students, mentors and STEM subject experts featured on the Gazette.
Yanitza Trosel was awarded the 2020/2021 J. Bruce and Helen H. French Graduate Scholarship in Physics. This scholarship recognizes excellence in both course work and research in the Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography. Congratulations, Yanitza!
Yanitza Trosel wins a Student Research Achievement Award in Physical Cell Biology at the Biophysical Society Meeting. Congratulations, Yanitza!
Spot the two Memorial soft materials graduates in CAP’s Spot the Physicist poster! [Hint: their names begin with A.]